Thought you would love these five interesting facts about our opponent this week:
- Lou Holtz, Bob Stoops and our own Nick Saban are former coaches for the Flash.
- In 1920 Kent State athletic teams became known as the “Silver Foxes” because then-president John McGilvrey raised silver foxes on his farm. After McGilvrey’s controversial firing in 1926, the new administration held a contest to choose a different team name and “Golden Flashes” was chosen. (Sounds a lot like Golden Flake, maybe a tie-in)
- The school colors of Navy Blue and Gold were originally Orange and Purple as outlined in the original 1910 charter. When the basketball team’s uniforms were taken to a local cleaner, the hot water caused the colors to fade to blue and gold. The team and student body liked the new colors and voted to change them. (Fashion tie-in)
- The Price is Right’s Drew Carey, former late night talk show host Arsenio Hall, actor Michael Keaton, and box promoter Don King are notable alumni from Kent State. (Entertainment tie-in)
- And they think we have some crazy celebrations in the South. Kent State is home to The Black Squirrel Festival held annually on campus to honor squirrel intruders. Live music, food, door prizes, merchandise. (So what’s the big night in Kent, Ohio, the black squirrel festival)
And there you have it folks, some amusing facts about our opponent this weekend. Now let’s see if they have any skills on the football field, probably not!
Comment now using your Facebook login!
Powered by Facebook Comments